General Information

The information provided below does not constitute legal advice.

The Court strongly encourages parties to consult with an attorney – especially in cases where there are any assets; such as inheritances, real estate, pensions, retirement accounts, and financial accounts that need to be divided. Also, obtaining service on the other party in accordance with the Rules of Civil Procedure can be difficult.

If you have retained an attorney or intend to, the Court will only communicate with your attorney.

You MUST bring a witness to your uncontested divorce hearing to testify as to the grounds for your divorce.  Visit our website for Forms and Information:

For the most up-to-date information, follow us on Social Media:

FACEBOOK: @SummitCoDomesticRelationsCourt

X (Formerly Twitter): @SummitDomestic


Review the Local Rules (“Local Rules”) for important instructions and information.


1. If You Cannot Afford the filing fee

If you cannot afford the filing fee, you may want to consider filing a Motion to Proceed In Forma Pauperis, asking the Court to proceed without paying for the filing fees.

The Motion to Proceed in Forma Pauperis as well as the Motion to Proceed In Forma   PauperisFinancial Disclosure Affidavit are available at:

Filing a Motion to Proceed In Forma Pauperis does not mean that your filing and other fees will be free, it means you do not have to pay the initial deposit, but at the conclusion of the case, you will be able to pay the court costs on a payment plan.

For further information, please refer to: Local Rule 40(N) – Motion to Proceed In Forma Pauperis.

2. Options to Consult with an Attorney

The Akron Bar Association’s (ABA) Lawyer Referral Service can match you with an attorney. You will receive up to a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for a non-refundable $30 fee.

For more information about ABA’s Lawyer Referral Service, please visit their website or call (330) 253-5038.

If your case involves domestic violence, you may be eligible to receive legal assistance from Community Legal Aid  for a free or reduced fee attorney.

Visit their website or call (330) 535-4191.

Attend a Justice Bus event held quarterly here in Summit County for free legal advice and connecting with other community agencies: Follow us on social media (Facebook Summit County Domestic Relations Court) for dates and locations or click here to see when the next Justice Bus event will be.

3. If you decide to represent yourself (which is called proceeding pro se)

Visit Ohio Legal Help’s website for guidance in preparing your documents.

Attend a Justice Bus event held quarterly and hosted by the Court held in various locations in Summit County where volunteer attorneys offer free legal advice.

Also, “Ask an Attorney” is a community outreach program offered by the Akron Bar Association. Members of the community may call to receive free answers to brief legal questions. The program is scheduled on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Call (330) 253-5007 for more information

The primary way the Court will communicate with you is via email. Please provide the Clerk of Courts with your email address and check your email regularly. Keep in mind, if you are representing yourself, you will be held to the same standard as an attorney and are responsible for completing the necessary paperwork and appearing for your uncontested divorce hearing, and providing the necessary witness.

4. Filing for Divorce

You will need the following documents at the time you file your Complaint:

Affidavit of Income and Expenses

Affidavit of Property 

Service Request Form

New Case Designation Form

File all of the necessary paperwork with the Clerk’s Office, located at 205 S. High St., Akron, OH 44308.

For questions regarding filing, please contact the Clerk’s Office at (330) 643-2202.

5. Service (Notice)

Please note: you are required by the Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure to notify your spouse that you have filed a complaint for divorce.

If you have not properly notified the other party, meaning that service is not properly completed, YOU must try again until proper service has taken place and the Judge will NOT sign your Judgment Entry.

Review Local Rule 3- Service for further information and instructions.

For further instructions on how to serve (notify) your spouse, please see

Form 31 – Service Request

In-State Instructions for Service  

Out-of-State / Out- of-Country Instructions for Service

6. If You or Your Spouse are in Bankruptcy

You must provide documentation demonstrating the bankruptcy case has been closed or that there has been a Relief from Stay that will have to be filed with the Court. In order to accomplish this, contact the attorney that filed the bankruptcy.

In order to obtain these documents, you may contact the United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Ohio, located in the John F. Seiberling Federal Building.

Address: 2 South Main St., Akron, OH 44308

Phone number: (330) 252-6100

Public office hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 m.

For more information please visit the U.S. Northern District Banckruptcy Court


In order to access case information online:

Bankruptcy case information is stored using the PACER computer program.

For access to the PACER program, please contact The Support Center at


In order to obtain information about your case over the phone, case information is also available 24/7 by calling the Multi-Court Voice Case Informational System toll free at


In order to find records for a closed bankruptcy case Go to  the U.S. Northern District Banckruptcy Court

1. From the dropdown menu, ECF and Case Info

2. Select Archived Case Search

If you do not know your case number or you do not have internet access, contact the Northern District of Ohio United States Bankruptcy Court’s Clerk’s Office during business hours at (330) 252-6100.

If you do not provide the Relief From Stay or show documentation that the bankruptcy is over, the Judge will NOT sign the Judgment Entry the day of the hearing.

7. If Your Divorce is Without Children- Documents Required for your Uncontested Divorce Hearing

Before your uncontested divorce hearing you will also need to complete the Final Judgment for Divorce Without Children. This is the form that has a space for the Judge’s signature on the last page. It is not the same document as the Complaint that you filed to open your case.

All of these documents are available on the Court’s

  • Go to;
  • Select the “Forms” tab;
  • Select the “Divorce without Children”


  • You must have all of your documents completed and organized when you come to Court for your uncontested divorce
  • The Court will provide a reminder email with additional instructions a few days before your uncontested divorce
  • Failure to complete service, bring an appropriate witness, complete the necessary paperwork, or appear at your uncontested divorce hearing may result in your hearing being continued and/or your case being dismissed.